A LIST OF FAMOUS ARTISTS NAMES
From ancient times, artists have earned their names because of their unique modes of expression or their contribution to the legacy of art. Art was transformed especially since the Renaissance Era. Art became prominent and gained a respect unlike the past. Artists shot into fame and their works were examined to the minutest details.
Here is a list of famous artists names starting from the Renaissance period:
ITALIAN RENAISSANCE ARTISTS
- Donatello (1386-1466): Born in Florence Italy, he was most noted for Bas Relief- a type of sculpture -St. Mark, Feast of Herod, David etc.
- Sandro Botticelli (1445-1510):He was an early Renaissance painter hailing from Florence, Italy- Adoration of the Magi, Birth of Venus
- Leonardo Da Vinci(1452-1519): The perfect Renaissance man excelling in diverse fields like painting, sculpture, architecture, science, mathematics and music- Mona Lisa, the Last Supper, Annunciation, Adoration of the Magi
- Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475-1564): He was as versatile as Da Vinci and a typical Renaissance artist. -ceiling of the Sistine chapel in Vatican, the Last Judgment, David etc.
- Raphael (1483-1520): Italian painter and architect of high Renaissance- The Transfiguration, Resurrection of Christ.
- Titian (1488-1576):Versatile artist, most remembered for Assumption of the Virgin, The worship of Venus
NORTHERN RENAISSANCE ARTISTS (FAMOUS ARTISTS NAMES):
- Albrecht Durer (1471-1528): Versatile German artist-Praying Hands, Self Portrait
- El Greco (1541-1614): Spanish artist of Greek descent who excelled in post Byzantine, renaissance art-The disrobing of Christ, The Adoration of the Shepherds.
BAROQUE ARTISTS (FAMOUS ARTISTS NAMES):
- Caravaggio (1571-1610): Expert at naturalism and realism he was much sought after by the Catholic church-Conversion of St Paul, Narcissus.
- Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640): Baroque painter of counter reformation era- Samson and Delilah, Prometheus Bound etc.
- Bernini (1598-1680): Versatile Italian artist-Apollo and Daphne, Ecstasy of Saint Teresa etc.
- Rembrandt(1606-1669):Greatest artist in European history, part of Dutch golden age- The Night Watch, The Jewish Bride
EIGHTEENTH CENTURY ARTISTS:
- Goya (1746-1828): Spanish, romantic artist known for brutal realism in his artwork-Saturn devouring his son, Witches Sabbath etc.
NINTEETH CENTURY ARTISTS (FAMOUS ARTISTS NAMES):
- Camille Pissarro (1830-1903): A French impressionist-Two women chatting by the sea, The Garden of Pontoise.etc.
- Manet (1832-1883): Made the transition from Realism to Impressionism- The Railway, The Spanish singer
- Edgar Degas (1834-1917): One of the founders of Impressionism-The Dance class, At the Races etc.
- Winslow Homer (1836-1910): An American landscape artist- The Fox hunt, The Blue Boat etc.
- Paul Cezanne (1839-1906): French post-impressionist painter-The Card players, The basket of apples.
- Claude Monet (1840-1926): Founder of French Impressionism- Women in the Garden, Bridge over a pond of Water Lilies.
- Renoir (1841-1919): Impressionist painter of women’s sensuality-Young Girls at the Piano, By the Sea shore
- Mary Cassatt(1844-1926):American painter and print maker-The Boating Party, The Child’s Bath
- Paul Gauguin(1848-1903):Versatile French artist-Tahitian Women on the beach, The Yellow Christ
- Henri De Toulouse Lautrec(1864-1901): French painter of post-impressionist school-At the Moulin Rouge, In Bed
- Vincent Van Gogh(1853-1890):Greatest Dutch post impressionist artist: Sunflowers, The Starry Night
20TH CENTURY ARTISTS (FAMOUS ARTISTS NAMES)
- Henri Matisse (1869-1954): French artist- The Dance, The snail etc.
- Paul Klee (1879-1940): Swiss-German artist-Fish Magic, Cat and Bird etc.
- Pablo Picasso(1881-1973):Spanish artist, exponent of Cubism-Guernica, Ma Jolie
- Kandinsky (1866-1944): Russian art theorist and painter.
- Marc Chagall (1887-1985): Russian- French Jewish artist and early modernist.
- Georgia O’ Keeffe(1887-1986): Modern American artist
- Georges Seurat (1859-1891): French Post-impressionist painter.
- Joan Miro (1893-1983): Spanish artist of Surrealism.
- Norman Rockwell(1894-1978):American Illustrator and painter
- Salvador Dali (1904-1989): Spanish surrealist painter.
- Frida Kahlo(1907-1954):Mexican painter known for self portraits
- Jackson Pollock (1912-1956):American painter of the abstract expressionist school
- Andy Warhol(1928-1987):Leader of pop art- Campbell’s soup cans
CONCLUSION: This is a list of famous artists names that have exerted tremendous influence on the way we perceive and enjoy art.